Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday 26 March 2016

The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst


First of all, i would like to say a very big thank you to Jennifer Probst, who managed to pull me out of a month long reading slump with this spectacular book. Seriously, i was losing hope of being cured from this terrible disease known as reading slump anytime soon. But The Marriage Bargain managed to do not only that, but also put me in a great mood. This story will stay with me for a very long time, that's for sure.

Originally i decided to read it, because it has one of my favorite tropes aka fake marriage. But it turned out to be so much more than that, it had everything i love in a book: a broody hero, a spitfire, kickass heroine who made me fall in love with her, so much banter and humor that i couldn't stop grinning throughout the whole book. The Marriage Bargain was a very light read that filled me with so much positivity and that's what i appreciate the most in books. It's definitely joining the list of my favorite books and i'm sure i'll be re-reading it many, many times.

“Did you feed the fish?”
Nick closed his eyes. “Alexa, I’m working.”
She made a rude snort. “So am I. But at least I worry about poor Otto. Did you feed him?”
“Otto?”
“You kept calling him Fish. That hurt his feelings.”
“Fish don’t have feelings. And yes, I fed him.”
“Fish certainly do have feelings. And while we’re discussing Otto, I wanted to tell you I’m worried about him. He’s placed in the study and no one ever goes in there. Why don’t we move him into the living room where he can see us more often?”

Let's start with Alexa. I loved her from the very first pages and when she came into Nick's office to discuss the agreement and put him in his place after he made some pathetic excuse about how it was different for women to be celibate than it was for men, i just adored her. She's so smart and witty, always has answer for everything and is always ready to stand up for herself. She's also one of the kindest and most caring people. Alexa is devoted to people she loves, always giving them all she has. And this marriage to Nick kind of proves it. I loved seeing interactions between her and her family members, also with Maggie.

Now let's see about our Mr. Ryan. Nick was honestly an asshole pretty often, but you all know how i can never help with characters who are broody, grumpy and tad but cocky so it's no surprise that i enjoyed his character as much as Alexa's. Most of his asshole-like behavior was caused by jealousy and confusion about his feelings for Alexa so i think we can forgive him for that ;) It's honestly not surprising that he was trying to be distant with Alexa, for a person who never knew what is affection and love i think Nick turned out to be pretty great. Except for that moment almost at the end when he acted like one giant unreasonable asshole, he was really amazing. I liked his characer a lot, because he was like a grumpy teddy bear that you just want to hug haha Also that once scene when his ex kissed him and he was so nervous to tell Alexa about it? That was so adorable! It was really admirable of him not to hesitate about telling the truth because not many men would have done the same. But he still deserved it when Alexa dumped ice-cream on his head lol

Ice blue eyes stared back at him with sheer stubbornness and steely determination. "If you get to have your orgies, I get mine. If  you want to be celibate, so will I. I don’t care about your crap  regarding men and women and their differences. If I have to go to bed alone for three hundred sixty-four nights, then so will you. And if you want action, you'll have to turn to your own wife.”
She tossed her head like a stallion just out of the gate. “And since  we know we’re not attracted to each other, you’ll just have to find some other ways to ease the pressure. Use a little creativity. Celibacy should open other outlets.” She smiled. “’Cause that's all you’re gonna get.”

I can say that these two became one of my favorite couples. They couldn't go a minute without fighting with each other and honestly all these fights were like a foreplay for them because one second they are fighting and then making out. It was so very entertaining to read, how they drove each other nuts, i lost count how many times these two idiots made me laugh out loud. They acted like a couple who have been married for years. And all that bickering about the fish and dogs? Oh man, i almost peed myself during those scenes. Alexa and Nick deserve A+ for their bantering skills and knowing exactly how to drive one another crazy. And there were just as many swoon worthy moments. Their chemistry was out of this world. 

“Your mother’s coming,” he said.
“I  know—she probably heard us arguing. Do something!”
“What?”
“Anything!”
“Fine!” He grabbed her around the waist, dragged her body flush  against his, and ducked his head. His lips crushed hers as his hands wrapped around her tightly so they were plastered against each other, hip to hip, thigh to thigh, breasts to chest.

I don't know what else to say besides that i immensely loved this story. I finished it last night and i'm still in a great mood after it, still overwhelmed with how amazing it was. I will definitely read all the other books in the series and hopefully love them, though i don't think i can love any of them as much as i love Alexa & Nick's story. I a-d-o-r-e everything about this book.













No comments:

Post a Comment